- Written by Ronald van Haaften
- Hits: 721
The Median is the 'middle value' in your list. When the totals of the list are odd, the median is the middle entry in the list after sorting the list into increasing order. When the totals of the list are even, the median is equal to the sum of the two middle (after sorting the list into increasing order) numbers divided by two. Thus, remember to line up your values, the middle number is the median!
Be sure to remember the odd and even rule.
Example: odd amount
- Find the Median of: 9, 3, 44, 17, 15 (Odd amount of numbers)
- Line up your numbers: 3, 9, 15, 17, 44 (smallest to largest)
The Median is: 15 (The number in the middle)
Example: even amount
- Find the Median of: 8, 3, 44, 17, 12, 6 (Even amount of numbers)
- Line up your numbers: 3, 6, 8, 12, 17, 44
- Add the 2 middles numbers and divide by two: (8+12) ÷ 2 = 10